Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Learning and growing

Today is school conference day for both of my children. While they continue to learn and grow, I am doing my best to do so as well. Parenting from the Inside Out was recommended to me recently and since I realized it is due at the library pretty darn soon, I'm doing my best to get it read (and absorbed).

For any of you who have ever heard or felt yourself do something with your children or in response to them and you weren't quite sure why you responded that way (or) maybe you responded just as your parents would have with you even though you'd rather not... this may be the book for you.

Interestingly enough, this book includes quotes of praise from both Michele Pfeiffer (mother and actor) and Kate Capshaw Spielberg (I guess her name is sufficient to tell you who SHE is...), but the quote that seems to most clearly sum up this book to me is by Sal Severe (great name), Ph.D., author of How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too! (add that book to my list).

Dr. Severe says this: "By combining the latest research on parent-child relationships with new discoveries in brain science, Parenting from the Inside Out shows parents how to understand and integrate the experiences from their own childhood into a nurturing style of parenting that promotes healthy communication, meaningful attachment, and trust."

Mind you, I haven't found this the easiest of books to read but I feel as though the effort will be well worth it by the end. Good information for both scientific minds and those less so. And as the authors and their book tell us, "Parenting is an opportunity for lifelong learning. Children offer us the chance to be in a relationship that encourages us to deepen our connections with others and with ourselves"... and so does this book.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3/23/2007

    This is a good recommendation, and one that I will add to my list. I'm curious, tho, as to why you found this hard to read. Is it the way it's written?

    ReplyDelete