Thursday, December 14, 2006

Lost & found

I enjoy the sign posted on a locker at my son's school. This particular locker is usually stuffed almost to overflowing with myriad hats, jackets, scarves, mittens and more ... no doubt left behind on the playground, in the cafeteria or under a desk somewhere. Rather than the more traditional moniker for such a place however, it is named the "Lost and NOT found." Makes a lot more sense if you think about it. Most people wouldn't search out and find their beloved goodie, only to turn around and leave it behind - again. I suppose if anybody would though, it would be a kid.

Regardless, for those who may have been worried by my last post - know this: I haven't actually lost ALL of my sense of humor, just the part I need to keep with me when dealing with my kidlets. It's as if it runs and hides when I need it most. "Come out, come out, you darn sense of humor." I suppose the next time I feel like blowing a gasket, I should just start playing my own solitary version of hide and seek... Can't you just see it now?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10... here I come! as I head to any other room in the house and start peeping behind doors and under cushions. It's just silly enough that it's bound to distract me, distract the kids (who'll be wondering what the heck their Mama is up to), and probably surface a good giggle or two while diffusing the moment (adding a little diaphramatic breathing at this point is apparently also a good idea).

And by the way, sometimes just airing our issues can bring a bit of closure. While "Horrible Harry" and his friend "It's the Bear!" are still the best hiders I've ever known, I did manage to find "Minnie and Moo - Night of the Living Bed" (an intriguing little read) as well as my sapphire earrings AND my favorite reading glasses (all in frantic pursuit of those d*mn books!)

Who knows, maybe if I look long and hard enough, I'll find a million dollars or a goldmine, the next big thing or the fountain of youth. Or maybe I'll just manage to clean my house!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12/18/2006

    We once returned a school book to the public library. Whoops! Finally got to the right place.

    And then there was the time when the book was actually on the shelf at the library, but was never marked in...

    Finally, speaking of hide and seek, here is how you play hide and seek with Sean. You ask him, "Do you wanna play hide and seek?" To which he always answers "YES!" Then you ask, "Do you want to count or hide", to which he always answers "Count!"
    Then he goes to the sofa, buries himself beneath all the throw pillows there, while counting as only a 2 1/2 (2 and 3/4 really) can, "1,2,3,4,9,11,13,14," and at the end jumps out from under the pillows.

    I love playing hide and seek with him!

    ReplyDelete